This effortless Shepherd’s Pie recipe is filled with tons of veggies and tender ground beef (or lamb), simmered together in the most scrumptious sauce, and topped with the creamiest mashed potatoes. Ideal for St. Patrick’s Day!
Last month on Instagram, I occurred to mention that I had in no way made a homemade shepherd’s pie before…and my inbox instantaneously exploded.
So numerous of you enjoy shepherd’s pie!!
Even greater, so several of you had shepherd’s pie suggestions and recipes that you were willing to share with me.
So with St. Patrick’s Day just all around the corner, I’ve been tough at function this previous month testing and re-testing all of your recommendations till I landed on my own traditional shepherd’s pie recipe that I’m pleased to ultimately add to this internet site these days. It’s overflowing (really practically) with tender beef or lamb and tons and lots of veggies, including a generous handful of chopped mushrooms that carry a tasty depth of taste and added heartiness to the filling. It’s topped with my trademark creamy mashed potatoes (
Shepherd’s Pie Ingredients:
Alright, grocery listing time. Here are the simple shepherd’s pie ingredients that you will want to make this recipe:
How To Make Shepherd’s Pie:
To make this Irish shepherd’s pie recipe, simply:
- Cook the mashed potatoes. Cook the large potatoes in a big stockpot right up until tender. Then drain, mash, and stir in the remaining mashed potato components till mixed. Set aside for later.
- Brown the meat. Meanwhile, in a huge saut pan, cook the ground beef or lamb in a bit of oil till browned, crumbling it with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Then transfer it to a separate plate with a wooden spoon, reserving any grease that it has left behind.
- Saut the veggies. Cook the onion, carrots, celery, mushrooms and garlic in the leftover grease (or you can include in further oil) right up until they are softened as well.
- Include in the flour and wine. Stir in the flour to assist thicken the sauce. Then include the wine, and scrape the bottom of the pan with your wooden spoon to loosen any of individuals tasty brown bits.
- Add the remaining sauce elements. Stock, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, herbs and frozen peas. Then give every little thing a very good stir, and cook the mixture until it reaches a simmer. Lessen the heat to allow it simmer for a number of more minutes, so that these herbs can actually season the sauce. Then remove the herbs (such as bay leaves), stir in the cooked meat, give the mixture a taste, and season with salt and pepper as required.
- Layer it all up. Transfer the filling mixture to a 9 x 13-inch baking dish, and spread it out in an even layer. Then spoon the mashed potatoes on top and carefully spread them out in an even layer as effectively.
- Bake. Pop the whole dish in the oven for about 20 minutes, or till the potatoes are lightly golden and the filling starts to bubble up close to the edges. (If you would like the potatoes to be a bit far more browned, you can flip on the broiler for one or 2 further minutes.)
- Garnish and serve. Then eliminate the pan from the oven, sprinkle with a number of added herbs if you would like, and dish it up whilst the shepherd’s pie is still great and warm. Yum.
Effortless Shepherd’s Pie Variations:
Want to customize your shepherd’s pie recipe? Come to feel totally free to:
How To Store Shepherd’s Pie:
You can both store your shepherd’s pie leftovers in a sealed container:
What To Serve With Shepherd’s Pie:
You’re welcome to serve this shepherd’s pie with further gravy on the side, if you would like. Otherwise, we loved ours with:
Pleased early St. Patrick’s Day, everybody! Hope you get pleasure from!