In my residence, we adore a excellent meatball, bowl of chili and sloppy joe–all created with ground beef. But I don’t serve ground beef every single night. Why? Appear at the numbers. One 4-ounce serving of cooked ground beef has much more than twice the calories of ground turkey and five occasions the saturated fat of ground chicken. And which is for the 90% lean beef.
Ground Beef (90% lean): 261 calories, 14 grams body fat, 5.4 grams saturated excess fat, 32 grams protein
Ground Beef (85% lean): 290 calories, 17 grams unwanted fat, seven grams saturated body fat, 32 grams protein
Ground Turkey Breast: 120 calories, one.5 grams body fat, .five grams saturated excess fat, 26 grams protein
Ground Chicken Breast: 160 calories, 2 grams excess fat, grams saturated unwanted fat, 31 grams protein
So I like to combine up my menu by utilizing ground chicken and turkey in dishes that phone for beef. Here are 25 great approaches to get you started out on the identical path!
1. Chili (try out Food Network Kitchens’ Slow-Cooker Chicken Chili, above), soups, and stews
2. Bolognese Sauce: Use above pasta and mashed potatoes.
three. Burgers and sliders: Add seasonings and fresh herbs as desired. (Consider Foods Networks Kitchens’ Asian Turkey Burgers or Food Network Magazine’s Asian Chicken Burgers.)
four. Pot pies and shepherd’s pie: Include cooked meat to mixed vegetable fillings prime with refrigerated pie crust, mashed potatoes or mashed sweet potatoes prior to baking. (Consider Food Network Kitchens’ Individual Turkey Shepherd’s Pies.)
6. Taco salad: Fill baked taco shells with mixed greens and veggies prime with cooked meat, shredded cheddar cheese, tomatoes and black olives. (Try out the Neelys’ Chicken Taco Salad.)
seven. Salisbury steak: Combine ground meat with egg and seasoned bread crumbs form into oval patties sear in a pan till browned on each sides braised in a “gravy” made from a blend of condensed onion soup, water, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and Dijon mustard.
9. Frittatas: Include to cooked egg and egg-potato dishes.
10. Lasagna, baked ziti and other baked pasta dishes: Add cooked meat to the sauce layer.
11. Stuffed pasta shells: Mixed cooked meat with ricotta cheese and herbs things into shells.
twelve. Meatballs (attempt Giada’s Mini Turkey Meatballs) and meatball subs with melted provolone
13. Calzones and empanadas: Things seasoned, cooked meat into rolled out bread or pizza dough fold over seal and bake as directed.
14. Loaded potatoes and potato Skins: Best baked potatoes and hollowed potato skins with cooked meat and cheese.
sixteen. Loaded nachos: Use baked tortilla chips, sharp cheddar cheese, salsa, sliced black olives.
17. Stuffed bell peppers: Combine cooked meat with brown rice before stuffing into peppers. (Try out Meals Network Magazine’s Turkey-and-Rice Stuffed Peppers.)
18. Curried potatoes: Brown meat with diced potatoes braise in a curry paste-spiked broth and garnish with cilantro.
19. Asian lettuce wraps: Season cooked meat with soy sauce and sesame oil stuff into Boston or Bibb lettuce leaves with shredded carrots and cabbage roll up.
20. Stroganoff: Combine cooked meat with cooked egg noodles, light sour cream, sauted mushrooms, beef broth, sherry, and thyme.
21. Quesadilla fillings: Fill tortillas with seasoned, cooked meat and shredded pepper jack cheese.
22. Stuffed acorn and butternut Squash: Fill seeded and steamed squash halves with cooked meat and shredded cheddar cheese bake at 350 degrees for five to ten minutes, until cheese melts.