BBC Good Food displays you how to achieve crisp crackling and soft, tender meat when you’re generating slow-cooked pork belly for the greatest-ever Sunday lunch.
Discover to roast pork stomach – prime suggestions:
- Score the pork stomach making use of a really sharp knife.
- Lay the pork, skin-side up, on a rack in a roasting tin. Rub with oil and season with salt. This procedure helps the fat run out and skin to crisp.
- Transfer to a preheated oven. Verify your recipe for times and temperatures. Pork stomach demands a blend of slow, gentle heat to tenderise the meat, plus a shorter blast at a larger heat to crisp up the skin.
- Cook at 180C/160C fan/fuel 4 for 2 hrs 15 mins, then turn up the oven to 200C/180C fan/gasoline 6 for a additional 35 minutes to crisp the crackling.
- After cooked (the pork need to be tender this can be simply examined by piercing the flesh with a knife), take away the pork from the oven, then depart to rest for 10-15 minutes before carving.
How to season pork stomach
A traditional salt rub is standard, but you could also make your very own spice paste.
For a salt rub: rub the skin with olive oil and season generously with sea salt. This will help the unwanted fat run out and the skin to acquire its renowned crispy texture.
For a spice paste: attempt the fennel, peppercorn, garlic and thyme combo from our slow-roast rolled stomach pork. Or, if you are feeling specifically adventurous, attempt our bourbon-glazed pork stomach chunks for a grown-up, sweet whiskey marinade.
Some recipes also suggest leaving the meat uncovered in the fridge for a number of hrs in order to dry out the skin and allow the meat get on the flavours of your selected seasoning. If you have far more time, marinating the meat for a number of hrs or even overnight (if you’re producing ahead of time), will constantly give a higher depth of flavour.
How extended do you cook pork belly for?
The secret to cooking pork stomach is the combination of a gentle heat to tenderise the meat and quick, large temperature blasts to crisp up the skin on the outside. Typically, recipes get in touch with for close to 2 hrs at 180C/160C fan/fuel four, then a more 30 mins or so at 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
The pork will be ready when the juices run clear and the flesh is tender when pierced with a knife. If the skin hasn’t crisped up, try placing the joint beneath a sizzling grill for a handful of minutes – but don’t forget to hold an eye on it to avoid burning.
Our prime pork belly recipes
1. 3-hour pork stomach
This low-cost minimize of pork is perfect for a sensational Sunday roast. Our luxurious three-hour pork stomach produces superbly soft flesh and crisp crackling. Serve with red cabbage and new potatoes for an ultra-satisfying family members meal. It requires a grand total of just ten minutes to put together this golden-brown attractiveness for cooking.
2. Slow cooker pork belly
Present your favourite piece of kitchen kit some adore with our straightforward slow cooker pork belly. Obtain tender, melt-in-the-mouth meat in just two effortless actions. For traditionalists, serve with creamy mash, steamed veggies and gravy. For anything a tiny distinct, try serving in a ramen noodle broth, bao buns or burgers.
three. Pork belly slices
Sticky pork stomach slices are our favourite summer time indulgence. Try out serving these tender strips of meat with crunchy coleslaw in a pillowy-soft bread bun with lots of homemade fries. Roasting with our effortless barbecue sauce locks in flavour and creates a charred, caramelised crust we can not resist.
4. Pomegranate-braised pork stomach
Combine classic Chistmassy spices to create the best balance of sweet and tart flavours with our pomegranate-braised pork belly. This hearty winter warmer helps make a spectacular dinner-party major course for the colder months.
5. Rolled pork stomach with herby apricot & honey stuffing
Fans of crisp crackling will be overjoyed with our rolled pork belly with herby apricot & honey stuffing. The sweet, fruity filling pairs properly with succulent, savoury pork. Drying out the skin ahead of roasting will give you the perfect crackling you are craving.