My go-to recipe for traditional, creamy, zesty, Southern potato salad.
For many years and years, I’ve been receiving requests from several of you for a classic, ultra-creamy, mustardy, pickle-y, homemade potato salad recipe (Group Mayo!) right here on the site. At the exact same time, I’ve been getting requests from several other folks of you (Staff Don’t-Wanna-Come-Anywhere-Near-Mayo) for a zippy, savory, effortless potato salad recipe that you make with no inviting Miracle Whip to the celebration.
Nicely this week, all potato salad eaters are welcome right here on the weblog, simply because I have — not one particular, not two, but — three brand new potato salad recipes to share with you! Fundamentally, a potato salad for everybody!! I have high hopes that one of these three recipes will turn into your new go-to this season, so remain tuned to see which one will be your choose. But as for these days, I’m kicking off this series by returning to my Midwestern roots by sharing the traditional potato salad recipe that reigned supreme at the thousand church basement potlucks of my childhood…
…this classic, creamy, Southern potato salad.
It will permanently be the 1st version that comes to mind when I hear the phrases “potato salad.” And if you also grew up with this dish in your lifestyle, you know precisely what we’re doing work with right here — hearty potatoes, tough-boiled eggs, celery, onion, and pickle relish (optional, or not, dependent on who you inquire). Plus a wealthy and creamy sauce that is spiked with mustard, celery salt, vinegar, and paprika. And — yep — an unapologetically mega scoop of mayo or Miracle Whip.
There are of course all sorts of other entertaining components you can add in (hello, bacon). And I’ve also integrated elements beneath for how you can customize your very own potato salad recipe with various seasonings or lighten it up a bit with some creamy alternatives to mayo. But however you make yours, this traditional recipe is guaranteed to be total, nostalgic, creamy comfort meals.
So if you’re on Group Mayo, grab a jar and let’s make a batch together!
Potato Salad Elements:
Alright, let’s speak elements! To make this Southern potato salad recipe, you will want:
I advise sprinkling your potato salad with smoked paprika or Previous Bay seasoning just ahead of serving, to give it an extra pop of color and taste. Or truly feel free to also garnish your potato salad with egg (extra tough-boiled eggs), chopped fresh herbs (chives, dill, parsley, etc.), or a sprinkle of bacon.
How To Make Potato Salad:
Here’s how to make the best potato salad recipe — it’s so effortless!
- Cook the potatoes: Dice your potatoes into large chunks. Then add them to a large stockpot and cover with generously-salted cold water, and cook until finally the potatoes are tender. Drain the potatoes in a colander, return them to the pot, drizzle with vinegar and let great even though you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Prep the sauce: Meanwhile, whisk collectively the mayo, celery salt, mustard and pickle relish in a medium bowl until evenly mixed.
- Toss every thing with each other: After the potatoes are ready to go, add in the mayo mixture, diced eggs, celery and onion. Toss gently till evenly combined.
- Season: Taste and season with salt and pepper, to taste. (Also truly feel free to include in a tablespoon or two of pickle juice if you would like.)
- Chill: Transfer the potato salad to a serving bowl, cover, and refrigerate for one-two hrs to chill. Then serve chilled, topped with your wanted garnishes.
Potato Salad Recipe Variations:
There are so many ways to customize this potato salad recipe, so really feel free to experiment and see what you love most! For example, you could…
A lot more Make-Ahead Salad Recipes:
Searching for much more make-ahead salad inspiration for summertime? Right here are a couple of a lot more favourite recipes: